Sunday, August 9, 2009

Rainy Daze

I can't care about the rain, because I have mandated that today is going to be awesome for a couple of reasons. First of all, I woke up at 4 p.m. (damn). Second of all, it is the Second Sunday Sockhop at Shangri La -- which I still want to go to despite the humidity that I am sure will follow this drizzle. I am sure the dampness will have dried by then, though, and it doesn't seem like it's going to rain again. What bizarre weather patterns. Third of all, I began my day with delicious dim sum that I did not have to wake up early for at Get Sum Dim Sum (44th and Lamar). It's amazing -- I suggest everybody try it. It's really cute and contemporary, and it is kind of in the same vein as Maki, in the sense that it's a modernization of asian food. There are no carts at this restaurant.


Left: Pork Siu Mai, Right: Turnip Cake "Law Bak Gao"
(Photos by Carol L. from Yelp)

I think that turnip cake is pronounced in Cantonese there, because it definitely doesn't read how you pronounce it in mandarin, or maybe that is just bad Romanization.

Lastly, I am going to lay in bed and watch a movie. Adios.
Have a good one.

3 comments:

Simian Gibbons said...

Dim sum sans carts?

Anonymous said...

I wanted to try this place! Thanks for the review! I normally go to Shanghai..which is really good, but nee something closer to me!

Also @Simian, there are a lot of dim sum places in boston & NYC that operate without the carts due to space limitations...same in Hong Kong!

Tiffany Diane said...

Sans carts may make the dim sum lose it's cute / ethnic appeal, but I support it because this way you don't have to wait for the food to come to you and get offered things you don't want or may not have wanted but get suckered into buying.. Now, you can just order what you want and get it delivered really quickly. It was awesome. You should check it out!