Everybody already knows that moving sucks. However, there are several remedies that people often overlook during the haul.
1. A U-Haul truck is affordable, but even more affordable is hiring an unemployed college student to help you do the heavy lifting. You can definitely negotiate $50 bucks in order to relax and drink a lemonade instead of pushing shelves around.
2. Movers don't have to be that expensive. If you pack all of your stuff up and move it to one room, you could probably get that $99 for 1 hour.
3. Get rid of unnecessary items before a move to make it more endurable. Go to Buffalo and sell, then donate what you have left. Leave unwanted things at Goodwill, like the ugly desk lamp, those tchotchkes you regret, presents from your ex.
4. A friend with a pickup truck is a friend indeed. However, not everybody is fortunate enough to have one. This is Texas though, you are bound to have a pickup truck friend.
5. Buying off Craigslist. A lot of people already do this, but some find it shady. The majority of my furniture is from Craigslist. I am not ashamed to say so.
6. Buying things like hangers or other necessities off of Amazon or Ebay, way more affordable than Target.
7. Never be afraid to hound your future landlord about things like fumigation or cleanliness. You are not making all that effort to go home to a new shithole. Be aggressive.
Okay, so I don't have that many gems of knowledge, though I have moved 3 times in the past 3 years. Oh, the joy of being a college student. Does anybody have any advice for me? Thus far, all I have is a list of things to do, many bookmarked items to purchase, and a huge box filled with shoes.
Leave comments, please!
I never get comments (except from Chinese spammers).