Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Horn and I

Hi all,

I don't think I officially announced my big kid job yet or not, but here is my official announcement. At the start of the summer, I took the position of editor-in-chief at The Horn, a new independent student news website (geared toward UT students)

Since my start, I have written 13 stories so far, some breaking stories receiving just short of 2,000 views. I've gotten to attend the Obama speech on campus as media. I've grown as a journalist and learned many more tools of the trade. However, my favorite part of journalism will always be connecting with people and being able to expose the talents and inner-beauty of folks.

One of my first story ideas was to cover blogger and friend Tolly Moseley, because of all I have seen her accomplish as a blogger and local socialite in the past couple of years that she's been on my radar. You all know her as Austin Eavesdropper. Check out her feature on The Horn!


Photo by Christina Harding for The Horn


Here is just a snippet from the interview:

The Horn: Tell me the story behind the name: Austin Eavesdropper

Tolly: I used to embarrass my husband, because we would be sitting in Quack's having coffee, when I would shush him so I could listen in on the conversation one table over. This would happen all the time, and, as a matter of fact, still does. He would be like, "oh my gosh, please stop that."

So one day, I was trying to think of a better name for the blog, and I asked him, "what do you think of 'Austin Eavesdropper?'" to which he responded, "that couldn't be more appropriate." So it stuck.

I still eavesdrop on people, because I like to tell stories. Hearing other people craft their tales helps me become a better story-teller. So fair warning, Austinites: if you are sitting anywhere near a small red-headed girl and enjoying a private conversation, it probably isn't private. I rarely turn around and broadcast the stuff I hear, but I relish it all the same.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your are looking so hot...........



MCSE courses UK