Friday, March 12, 2010

Monarchs + SXSW

From soulful to poppy, Celeste Griffin, AKA Monarchs, has the range and talent to pull off several genres of music. If you don't believe me, check her out for yourselves. As we embark into a week filled with music, parties and networking the SXSW, we are apt to discover a number of talented musicians; Monarchs is one to watch. As a female musician, she is an inspiration to me. She has the ability to harness her talents, create something unique, and show it to the world. Read what she has to say and hear her play this week.

Interview with Monarchs:

Who and/or what inspires you?
I have AMAZING friends and family. In fact, there is nothing I am more proud of than the close women in my life---my aunts, my mother, my grandmother, my best friends. These are all kick-ass women: beautiful, wise, loving, ambitious, funny, talented. They have taught me so much about life, love, self, and relationships and are my greatest inspiration.


What do you think it means to be a female musician?
As a performer, it involves displaying the femininity that I connect with--beautiful, strong, sexual, vulnerable, all of it.

As a songwriter, it involves showing a feminine perspective of the world. One of the major themes that the women in my life have taught me is that you have to love yourself first... you can't rely on a man to take care of you and fulfill all your needs. Even if you have a strong relationship, it is important to still be pursuing your personal goals and interests. (this, of course, goes for men, too!)

In the song, "The Things You Build Yourself", I summed this up in a little anthem:

When you're down and feeling lonely you'll have
All the things that you have built for yourself
If you ever lose your man or your wealth
You will always have the things you built yourself


What are your plans for the future?
This summer, I am making a full-length album with Mike McCarthy (Spoon, Heartless Bastards). After that---I want to really go for it---get a label, tour, the works.... yah know, all the steps toward world domination.

Be sure to be looking for that album next fall/winter! In the mean time, you can get Monarchs' 2 EPs on itunes.


Those Words, Those Frames - Monarchs

SXSW Schedule:
OFFICIAL SXSW EVENTS:
City of Austin Showcase
Wednesday, March 17th
Monarchs @ 9PM
The Ghost Room
Lineup: SXSW Wednesday Schedule

Studio SX
Interview with Whitney Pastorek of Entertainment Weekly
Wednesday, March 17th @ 3:30PM
Austin Convention Center

UNOFFICIAL SXSW EVENTS:
Birmingham Plays SXSW Showcase
Friday, March 19th @ 12PM
Creekside Lounge
Lineup: Birmingham @ SXSW2

Stem and Leaf Showcase
Saturday, March 20th @ 5:00PM
Rainey Manor House Venue
90 I35 S

No comments: